Replying to Difficult Emails Tactfully
9 October 2019, 8.45am – 5.30pm
Business writing in a work context can be very different from the writing exercises taught in schools. When adults in the working world write office documents, they naturally draw on what they learnt in school as well as on precedent office correspondence. But much of the precedent writing tends to contain commercial and stilted language. And what was learnt in school is often contrary if not irrelevant to good business style.
This workshop is designed specifically for business professionals to master new and specific techniques that will help sharpen their writing skills. The course will help participants produce a higher standard of reply submissions, and to understand that good writing is, and should not be difficult.
The course is structured such that participants will learn to adopt an appropriate style, tone and format of writing, express their points coherently, and to consistently produce sharp, focused and concise replies. They will also pick up skills to avoid common writing errors and to write convincingly to sell appease their customers.
- Plan and organise their replies.
- Express ideas to suit the audience and purpose.
- Use specific tools as guidelines for writing.
- Identify and avoid the common errors in writing.
- Apply the principles in writing business correspondence.
- Reply to complaint letters.
- Use the right tone and style in writing.
- Understand email essentials and etiquette.
Basic Elements in Business Writing
- Fundamentals of good business writing—old fashioned language VS modern day business writing.
- Concise writing techniques.
- Approaches to writing—active and passive voice; direct, indirect and persuasive approaches.
- Understanding and using tone effectively in writing.
Customising Written Work and Communication Styles
- Writing to suit different customer profiles.
- Basic DISC profiling tool to help understand communication basics.
Writing Tips and Techniques
- Techniques for responding to difficult letters.
- Handling the letter of complaint.
- Useful phrases and terms.
- Sentence construction style and structure.
- Paragraphing styles and rules.
Essentials of Emails
- Characteristics of emails
- When to email and when not to
- Ways to improve your email readability
- Guidelines for better structured emails
- Observing proper Email etiquette
- Group Discussion/Brainstorming
- Case Studies
- Self-Analysis/Critique Session
- Learning from a Partner
- Interactive Exercises
Who Should Attend
Anyone who has to write difficult letters or emails to customers.
Caroline Josephine Dawson
Caroline Josephine Dawson has more than 18 years of invaluable experience as an Editor of lifestyle and technical publications and 15 years teaching business management, environmental and soft-skills communication.
She holds a Master of Arts in Mass Communication from NTU (Singapore) and has attained the Diploma in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) certification through the London Teacher Training College and also teaches English as a foreign language. Caroline is also an MBTI®, DISC Accredited Administrator, Enneagram and Lumina Spark/Emotion practitioner and she has administered the tools to top level managers and supervisors on managing their leadership styles and team members. She is currently pursuing her doctorate studies in Business Administration through a Paris-based business school.
Her many opportunities in working with the public and private sectors around the world has enhanced her training experience. Participants of her training workshops attest to her motivational, instructional and highly experiential training methodology that have helped them in their workplace business management. Caroline has trained operational, supervisory and managerial staff from various organisations.
Ms Caroline gave a very nice talk and made the class laugh with a fun topic.
I enjoyed Caroline’s presentation. She is an experienced speaker & trainer!
Caroline is good, quite informative and fun entertaining.
Ms Caroline is a very awesome speaker. She was very clear and informative. Easy to understand.
Ms Caroline is a fantastic speaker. Engaging and able to bring all participants to attention.
Very interesting speaker with good real life examples.
Caroline Dawson is awesome. She is dynamic and humourous.
Group Fee: S$ 529.65 / person
(for group registrations of 2 or more)
Regular Fee: S$ 636.65
All fees include 7% GST, documentation, refreshments & lunch